Southern fried chicken burgers
There’s fried chicken and then there’s REAL fried chicken and these southern fried chicken burgers will not disappoint! Wickedly delicious, cheap and easy to make, and in just one bite, you’ll be addicted too.
- 4 chicken breast steaks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups corn flour (from corn, not wheat)
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper add more if you like it hot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- bread and butter pickles drained
- 1 washed butter or cos lettuce
- 4 flour burger rolls split and toasted
- 6 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- a few drops Tabasco optional
- Start this recipe at least 4 hours before you want to eat.
- Place the chicken steaks in a medium bowl, add 1 cup of buttermilk, turn the chicken to thoroughly coat in the buttermilk, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight (the buttermilk will tenderize the meat slightly)
- When your ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 170°C
- Set up 3 large plates, 2 with high sides. In the first high side plate, add the corn flour, smoked paprika, dried oregano, cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons of salt, mix well.
- Add the remaining cup of buttermilk to the second plate. Working one chicken breast steak at a time, remove each piece of chicken from the bowl. Shake off the excess buttermilk.
- Transfer the chicken to the corn flour plate and press firmly into the seasoned corn flour to thoroughly coat it.
- Return to the buttermilk plate, coat thoroughly in buttermilk and then press again into the corn flour mix. Transfer to the third clean plate.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken breast steaks.
- Heat the vegetable oil about 1.5cm deep in a large sauté or frying pan on a medium high heat until it sizzles if tested with the clean handle of a wooden spoon.
- Fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes turning at least once until its golden brown and crunchy.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Check the chicken is cooked through, if it needs a little longer transfer to an oven tray, cook in the preheated oven for another 5 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- To assemble the rolls, spread both sides with mayonnaise add a few drops of Tabasco if you like things extra spicy, a couple of lettuce leaves, and as many drained pickles as you like.
- Top with the fried chicken steak and eat immediately.