Salmon pickle toastie
When you’re in need of lunch or even a snack, don’t overlook the humble toasted sandwich or toastie! These can be made in the kitchen or over a campfire if you working distant stations from a mountain top. Perfect for SOTA too where you’ve got more important things to carry and space is limited. You can mix and match your favourite ingredients too, so there’s no excuse for skipping a meal.
- 4 thick cut slices crusty sourdough bread
- 200 g can Safcol Salmon in Springwater drained
- 8 slices of bread and butter pickle
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25 g butter soften
- Preheat a sandwich toaster or a large heavy frying pan to medium-low.
- Butter one side of the bread and turn it buttered side down.
- Scatter the grated cheese equally between two slices of bread.
- Add the salmon flakes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Scatter with dill and pickles and top with swiss cheese slices.
- Finish with the two remaining slices of bread, butter side up.
- Transfer your toastie using an egg flip to the preheated pan or sandwich maker and toast until golden.
- Cut them in half and serve sprinkled with a little extra dill with some extra pickles on the side.
Here’s a tip. If you don’t have a sandwich press and your pan frying, place some foil over the sandwich in the pan and weigh it down with another heavy pan of kitchen object. In essence, making a one-sided sandwich press. If you want to, wrap a house brick in foil. That’ll do the trick!